Monday, April 26, 2010

The Visitor

I woke up this morning to the sound of a single note, played once on a keyboard. It sounded like it was coming from downstairs. So, I got out of the bed because that single note called out to me.

Walking down the stairs, I felt the temperature change in the house. No one was downstairs, and the keyboards were not on. I turned my head to my left to look at the front door. Daylight snuck in through the cracks in the door and through the blinds.

I walked to the front door, turned the little gold doorknob and I opened the door. I had a guest; a visitor who was a stranger, but I knew exactly who he was from the minute I saw his face. He stood silently in the middle of the street in front of our house.

He smiled when he saw my face and I nodded at him with a smile, signaling him to come in from the street. He walked in and I closed the door behind him.

We sat in the living room and talked. There wasn't much I could tell him that he didn't already know about me. So, instead I talked about what I wanted to do that morning. I'd convinced myself to stay in from work and talk to my new friend.

He told me that I was witty, and that I had a very likable personality. I appreciated his compliments, but I was unsure as to why he was here at my house. He continued to pay me compliments on my personal successes.

Being the naturally nervous person that I can be sometimes, I asked him why he'd come by that day. He told me that he just wanted to look at me. I asked him if he'd seen me before. He told me that he'd never seen me before, but that I'd come up in several different conversations; none of which, he cared to go into great detail about.

All we had in the refrigerator was bottled water to drink. I offered him a bottled water. He drank it and said thank you. Then he got up to leave.

I asked him if he'd be back. He laughed at me because obviously I'd asked a silly question. He chuckled and grinned and said he would be back. He wasn't sure he'd see me in the same place again, but assured me that we would definitely see each other again.

I walked him to the door, and after exchanging pleasantries, he nodded his head and walked back down the street. I waited until he got a ways down the road before I parted my lips to say goodbye to him.


Goodbye Death... I'll see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment